Prep time – 25 minutes
Cook time – 1 hours
Serves – 10
Ingredients: 10 x Chicken Drumsticks
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
4lt Cold Water (Combine)
Golden Ale Glaze
2 x 345ml bottles James Squire “Chancer” Golden Ale
2 x cloves Garlic (chopped)
1 x Long Red Chilli (chopped)
Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
200ml Tomato Sauce
½ bunch coriander (chopped)
1. Pre-heat your smoker to 140oC
2. Trim your Chicken drumsticks by slicing off the drumstick knuckle then making an incision all the way around the neck of drumstick one to remove the sinew and pull the skin off – leaving the chicken meat at one end and a clean bone at the other.
3. Place the trimmed Chicken drumsticks into the brine solution for 2 to 3 hours.
4. Remove Legs from Brine and pat dry. Cover generously with the spice rub and add to the middle of your smoker – set at around 140oC.
5. Add hickory chips (or your favourite wood) to the smoker periodically and move the legs over after 30 mins.
6. Prepare glaze by adding al to the pot to reduce and cook together until it reaches a sticky coating consistency.
7. When your drumsticks have had 1 hour of cook time – probe with a meat thermometer. You are looking for just above 70oC.
8. At this point coat the drumsticks with the prepared reduced glaze and let cook for a further 10 minutes.
9. Remove and serve at once with a ranch or citrus, chilli aioli sauce. Enjoy!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Sign up to our newsletter to hear about class discounts, BBQ recipes, tips and tricks.