The Finger Test to Check the Doneness of Meat
You can poke the meat to judge its degree of doneness by comparing it to the feel of a particular place on your palm.
• Open the palm of your hand. Relax the hand. Take the index finger of your other hand and push on the fleshy area between the thumb and the base of the palm.
Make sure your hand is relaxed. This is what raw meat feels like.
• Press the tip of your index finger to the tip of your thumb.
The fleshy area below the thumb should give quite a bit. This is what meat that is cooked to rare feels like.
• Gently press the tip of your middle finger to the tip of your thumb.
The fleshy area below the thumb should give a little more; this is medium rare.
• Gently press the tip of your ring finger and your thumb together.
The flesh beneath the thumb should give a little more; this is what meat cooked to a medium doneness feels like.
• Gently press the tip of your pinky and your thumb together.
The fleshy area below the thumb. It should feel quite firm this is what well done meat feels like.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Did anyone say Mulled wine?
Check out this wonderful recipe to keep yourself warm this winter.
Sign up to our newsletter to hear about specials, recipes and much more!